oVice has an in-app Chat tool, ideal for quick instant messaging or sharing quick updates, links, or posting emojis! You can start a Chat conversation with any Active or Away users.
Type any message into the chat field without including any @ direct mentions to send a message to the entire workspace team. Use @ mentions for direct individual or group messages.
Start a Direct Message with Online Teammates
We make it easy to start a quick chat with another online user:
- Start a Chat in the Chat Tool
- Start a Chat from the User List
- Start a Chat from the User's Avatar(s)
From the Chat Tool
Open the Chat pane by clicking the Chat Bubble Icon in the Top Horizontal Menu Bar (or hit ENTER on your keyboard), and include an @mention of your target's name in the message. You may include more than one user by @mentioning them all, or you may use any of the following group @mention shortcuts:
- @all (messages all Active & Away users)
- @here (messages all Active users not currently in Meeting Rooms)
- @admin (messages all Active & Away admin role users)
- @member (messages all Active & Away member role users)
- @visitor (messages all Active visitor role users)
- @[room name] (messages all mentioned room occupants)
You may type any of the above, or select one or more options from the @ menu below the chat message window.
Include emojis from the emoji menu below the chat message window, or type a semicolon (:) followed by search term to pull up an emoji.
Compose your message in the window, and click the arrow icon (or CMND + ENTER on your keyboard) to send.
From the User List
Open the User List, and click on a User Name. oVice will show you the location of an Active user, and give you an option to Chat. Click Chat, and the Chat pane will open with the user's @mention pre-filled for you. Admin users will also see the option to force mute or kick that user from the space.
From the User's Avatar(s)
Click an active user's Avatar in the workspace, and you'll see the option to Chat. Click Chat, and the Chat pane will automatically open with the user's @mention pre-filled for you. Admin users will also see the option to force mute or kick that user from the space.
For multiple active users in the workspace, you may click + drag to select multiple users for a chat. The Chat pane will automatically open with all selected users' @mentions pre-filled for you.
From the Open Space
When multiple users are selected in the open space (click and drag to outline users), the chat opens with the users included in the specified range added to the mention destination.
Like a Public Chat
You can "like" a chat by clicking the like icon next to the chat. Click again to cancel. You can check the user name that "liked" by hovering over it.
Delete a Chat
Click the trash button to delete your own chats
Admin can delete all the messages in the space
Once you delete a chat, you can't restore it
Export Chats (CSV output)
This feature will be released soon.
Export the currently displayed chat in a space or conference room in CSV format. User permissions that can be exported depend on administrator settings.
Chat export permission
- Click "Export to CSV" from the three dots on the upper right corner of the chat screen.
- public chat
- Mention chat
You can only export what is displayed in your own chat box. Chats that have left the meeting room, reloaded the browser tab, deleted chats, and are not in the chat box cannot be exported.
- oVice Chat does not currently support image or file sharing
- The Send shortcut key is 'ctrl+enter' for Windows users
Admins can set in the console which user roles can use this chat features
Visitors and guests can't see any chats that were sent before entering the space
Admins & Members can see up to 20 public chats that were sent before they access the space
If you enter a meeting room in the middle of the meeting you can see up to 20 public chats that were sent before you enter the room, These will disappear when all the participants leave the room.
- User permissions for using the chat function can be changed in the administrator settings.
permission to send chat
- You can also send a chat by pressing Ctrl + Enter (Windows) or ⌘ + Enter (Mac) on your keyboard.
- You can enter emojis by clicking the emoji button.
- User-deleted chats cannot be recovered.
- Sent and received mention chats are deleted each time you reload your web browser or re-enter the space. (It is not stored on our server either.)
- Users who have oViceGo installed can receive chats in the app.
View/send chats (oVIce Go - mobile app)